Estate Planning Lawyer Phoenix, AZ
An estate planning lawyer Phoenix, AZ trusts is a lawyer who has the education and experience to advise clients on preparing their affairs for incapacity and death. Estate planning itself is the process of managing a person’s estate during their life in preparation for death, and eventually after death. Since estate planning is not on the minds of most people day to day, it is best to hire a lawyer who specializes in estate planning.
Who They Are
Any lawyer who practices the law must be certified to do so. To become a lawyer, one must pass the bar exam in the state they wish to practice in. This is important information to know because an estate planning lawyer Phoenix, AZ can count on must actually be a lawyer first and foremost! The names of lawyers in your state who have passed the bar exam is public information, so with a bit of research you can confirm that the person creating your estate plan is a bar certified lawyer.
While there certainly are other options for creating an estate plan without a lawyer, like DIY forms you can purchase from websites, no standard template can substitute for an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer.
What They Do
As any estate planning lawyer Phoenix, AZ respects might attest, there are many varied aspects to creating an estate plan and they differ from person to person. The right lawyer should take the time to learn about their client before suggesting what sort of estate plan would be best. Common topics of discussion include:
- Marital Status
- Family Members
- Financial Situation
- Health Status
Only once the lawyer has learned about the client, as well as the client’s futures wishes, can the lawyer truly recommend the best estate plan structure.
An experienced estate planning Phoenix, AZ is proud to rely on should include the following, at a minimum, in an estate plan:
1. Last Will and Testament
Your Last Will and Testament is a legal document that allows you to clearly communicate your end of life wishes for your assets and for your family members. A complete Last Will and Testament should clearly outline the following:
- The Executor or Personal Representative: the people you appoint to carry out the provisions of your Will upon your death.
- The Beneficiaries: the people who will be inheriting your assets
- Instructions for How and When to distribute the Assets
- Guardians for Minor Children: the people you wish to legally care for your minor children if you became incapacitated or pass away
2. Financial Power of Attorney
Any competent estate planning lawyer Phoenix, AZ depends on will probably include a Financial Power of Attorney. This document allows you to appoint a representative to manage your finances should be unable to do so for yourself.
3. Healthcare Directives
- Healthcare Power of Attorney: this document allows you to appoint a representative to make healthcare decisions on your behalf should you be unable to do so for yourself.
- Living Will: in this document, you can specifically outline any healthcare services you wish to receive, or perhaps more importantly, those you DO NOT wish to receive.
- HIPPA Authorization: this document allows you to name an individual who can have access to your medical information so that your health care provider or insurance company have no reservations about sharing your protected medical information with them.
If you have a lot of assets, an estate planning lawyer Phoenix, AZ confides in may suggest you create a Living Trust. A Living Trust is an entity created during the Grantor’s life time to hold and manage assets. There are many advantages in creating a trust, including avoiding probate.
Why You Need an Estate Planning Lawyer
Only an experienced estate planning lawyer will be able to assess your personal situation and recommend the best structure of estate planning for you. Such a lawyer will also be familiar with the laws in your state and create an estate plan that is sure to be valid. Standardize templates from a website cannot do that for you.
You work hard for your money and for your family, creating an estate plan allows you to make sure both are properly cared for after your death. If you’ve been looking for an estate planning lawyer Phoenix, AZ is proud to have helping their community, contact Kamper & Estrada, PLLC today for a free initial consultation with our experienced estate planning attorney.