Personal Injury Lawyer Phoenix, AZ
What Do I Do After a Car Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you’ll need a personal injury lawyer Phoenix, AZ recommends. Car accidents are unpredictable, and they happen fast. In the aftermath, injuries and trauma can cloud one’s rational thinking. If you are confused about what to do immediately after a car accident, follow the steps below:
1. Stay on The Scene
This seems like common sense, but hit and runs happen frequently. Legally, you are obligated to stop if you’ve been in an accident. Besides, you ‘ll need to exchange insurance information with the other parties involved, take photos of the scene, and speak with the police officer making the accident report.
2. Call 911
As a personal injury lawyer Phoenix, AZ relies on will tell you, always call 911 if you’ve been in a car accident. This goes for both minor fender benders and 10 car pile ups. If there has been any sort of accident, you’ll want the police to make a report. Plus, the police officer wasn’t in the accident and isn’t experiencing the same intense emotions as you, so they are able to better document details you might forget, like the weather, road conditions, witnesses, etc.
3. Gather Evidence
Gathering evidence is a big step in the process of making a legal claim, and the earlier you start the better. As a personal injury lawyer Phoenix, AZ has faith in might attest, the difference in how a strong personal injury case versus a weak case can often come down to the quality of evidence that was gathered in the moments, days, weeks, and months after the car accident. Look to find out, at a minimum, the following information:
- Other Driver’s Information: Make sure to get, at a minimum, the following information from the other driver(s) involved: Name, Address, Phone Number, License Plate Number, Insurance Card Information, Make and Model of Car.
- Photo/Video: Get shots of the cars involved, the weather conditions, the road conditions, even a bank sign that might indicate date and time. Photos can help reconstruct the cause and scene of the accident, determine liability, document damages, and establish facts. Plus, memories fade over time, so photos can capture the details that otherwise may have been easily forgotten.
- Witnesses: Witnesses can play a crucial role in car accident cases, as a personal injury lawyer Phoenix, AZ endorses might tell you. In general, witnesses are called to help clarify contested issues in a case. In this way, witnesses can build help build the strength of your case. In fact, one witness’ testimony could make or break an entire case. Did any bystanders witness your accident? Ask if the witnesses would be willing to provide their contact information and give statements to the police.
- Police/Accident Report: A police report can help strengthen a property damage or personal injury claim.
- Medical Records & Bills: From x-rays to invoices, all medical documentation is useful in settling a claim.
4. Seek Medical Treatment
As any personal injury lawyer Phoenix, AZ trusts might tell you, seeking medical treatment as soon as possible after the accident is one of the best things you can do for your personal injury case. The most important thing is your health and well-being. But keep in mind that if you intend on pursuing a personal injury claim, you’ll also need medical records proving you sought treatment. In addition, certain injuries are not always apparent on the surface, so you’ll want to be sure to have a medical professional exam you right away to see if you are in danger of suffering from such an injury.
5. Hire an Attorney
Insurance companies have teams of experienced adjusters, investigators, and lawyers trying to settle your case as quickly and for as little money as possible. If you hire legal representation, you are more likely to receive a higher settlement than if you attempt to handle the case on your own.
If you’ve been negligently injured in a car accident, you may have a personal injury case. If you’re in need of a personal injury lawyer Phoenix, AZ counts on, contact Kamper Estrada, LLP today for a free initial consultation.