Bicycle Accident Lawyer Phoenix, AZ
Bicycle Accident Lawyer Phoenix, AZ Trusts Offers Tips for Bike Accident Prevention
A bicycle accident lawyer in Phoenix, Arizona understands that bicyclists can be in danger every time they step out of their homes and go for a ride. Whether you ride a bike for fun, as a way to get to work and back, or for sport, it is important to practice safety in order to lessen your chances of being struck by a car. It is not uncommon for a vehicle driver to be both in a rush and distracted by their phones or other factor. As a bicyclist, you are at a disadvantage because you do not have an encasing around your body to protect you from the blunt force of a vehicle hood.
Getting clipped or hit by a car while you are on a bicycle is no small injury. Even if you were wearing protective gear, riding your bike completely legally on the road, and using the appropriate signals, accidents still happen and injuries can still be severe. The lawyers at Kamper Estrada, LLP know just how terrifying it can be to get into a bicycle accident with a car, and know that the injuries you may sustain are likely much worse than the injuries the driver of the car sustained.
Here we have listed the many ways you can help prevent accidents and potentially life-threatening injuries from happening to you while on a bike:
- The size of the bike should be appropriate for the rider.
- Wear a helmet at all times, and invest in brands that are federally-approved.
- Ride with traffic flow, not against.
- Ride in residential areas versus busy traffic city streets whenever possible.
- When riding at night, wear brightly colored clothes.
- When riding at night, add reflectors to your bike so cars can easily see you.
- Before getting on your bike, do a quick check that all parts are in proper working order.
- When in a pedestrian lane, walk your bike across the crosswalk.
- Keep a safe distance away from parked cars, as doors may open and hit you.
- Do not listen to music while riding if it prohibits your ability to hear outside noise and potential threats.
- Adjust your speed based on the road conditions and how much traffic is on the road with you.
- Be extra vigilant when crossing at city intersections.
- When riding on the street, use the entire lane and not the edge, to increase your visibility to drivers.
- Be wary of larger vehicles that may have a bigger blind spot (commercial trucks, buses, motorhomes).
- Use hand signals to let car drivers know where you are planning to move.
What to Do If You Are Injured in a Phoenix AZ Bicycle Accident
Despite taking all of these precautions you may still be a victim of a bicycle accident. If you’ve been injured in a bike crash, you may want to speak with a bicycle accident lawyer Phoenix, AZ residents trust. An injury or death resulting from a bike accident can be devastating and may lead to financial repercussions, emotional grievance, and extensive pain and suffering. Kamper Estrada, LLP understands the hardship you may be experiencing. Through a consultation, we are ready to listen to your story and the impact the collision has had on your life. If we’re a match, rest assured, our law firm diligently fights for maximum compensation.
Assuming the accident did not knock you unconscious and you wake up in the hospital after your bicycle accident, there are a few simple steps to follow to ensure you get the information you need to make a claim and recover physically.
- Get To a Safe Area. If the car knocked you off your bicycle into the street, you could still be in danger of being hit by another motor vehicle. If you are physically able to move, get your bicycle out of the way of traffic and move yourself to safety whether it is on a sidewalk or on the road’s shoulder.
- Check Yourself. While there might be damage to your bike, the most important thing right now is your physical health. Check your helmet for cracks (this could mean head trauma) and check to see if you have bruises, cuts, or lacerations. If your body is in shock, you may not experience the worst of the pain for another few hours.
- Call 9-1-1. Although it is unlikely the person intentionally tried to hit you with their car, having a police officer (and maybe a paramedic for your injuries) at the scene will be imperative. A police officer can document detailed information about the scene and write up a police report of what happened.
- Exchange Information With the Driver. If this was not a hit-and-run, get information from the driver. This includes their name, address, and insurance information. If there are witnesses to the accident, get their contact information as well.
- Get Medical Attention. Have a family, friend, or another person drive you to the hospital to have your injuries looked at, even if you feel fine. Medical attention is a priority when it comes to healing and making sure your injuries are documented by a medical professional when you bring forth a claim.
It is vital that you get medical attention right away regardless of how you believe you feel after the impact. When the body is in a state of shock, injuries can be hidden. Do not permit the car driver to leave until police have arrived and taken a statement of the accident.
Bills may pile high after being hit by a car, due to an accumulation of emergency, hospital, diagnostic and treatment costs. Even if the bicyclist has health coverage, the expenses can cause substantial financial difficulties. This is why many bicyclists choose to take legal action against the driver by filing a civil lawsuit for medical expenses. Start a file that contains all relevant paperwork for your injuries. This paperwork can be used as proof and help an attorney estimate a potential amount of compensation.
If you have questions regarding a personal injury claim after your accident or you would like to speak with a bicycle accident lawyer in Phoenix, AZ, call Kamper Estrada, LLC today.
Why It’s Important to Retain a Phoenix Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Time is of the essence when collecting valuable evidence, interviewing witnesses, and building a strong case after a Phoenix AZ bicycle accident happens. Guided by decades of experience and a passion to speak on behalf of those who feel they don’t have a voice, we act quickly to investigate the circumstances of an accident. Some contributing factors we may assess include motorists who:
- Open a door in front of the cyclist
- Fail to check blind spots
- Make right turns in front of an approaching bicyclist
- Sideswipe the rider using the bike lane or shoulder
- Fail to adhere to traffic signals or stop signs
- Exit driveways without paying attention
- Drive under the influence
As a bicycle accident lawyer in Phoenix, AZ, we waste no time in building a case that outlines the damages incurred because of another party’s negligence. We are prepared to fight the lawyers working for insurance companies by implementing our extensive resources, which may include private investigators, medical doctors, expert witnesses, or an accident reconstruction specialist.
Bicycle Accident Lawyer Phoenix, AZ
A collision between a bike and a vehicle or obstruction can result in minor abrasions or life-threatening injuries such as:
- Lacerations and soft tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries, including whiplash
- Concussions and head injuries
- Broken bones
- Loss of limbs
- Mouth and teeth injuries
As a bicycle accident lawyer Phoenix, AZ depends on, we review medical records to assess the full extent of a client’s injuries. With this information, we may determine a fair numerical value to compensate a client for their losses. Examples of damages that may be collected in a legal claim include:
- Past, current, and prospective medical costs
- Lost wages from the inability to work
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Property damage
- Wrongful death (i.e. when the cyclist lost their life)
- Punitive damages when applicable
The final settlement amount is dependent upon each individual’s claim; it is not feasible to provide an accurate estimated value without speaking to a bicycle accident lawyer Phoenix, AZ respects.
Contact a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Phoenix, AZ Victims Depend On
No victim of a bicycle accident should have to bear unexpected losses on his or her own. Kamper Estrada, LLP may guide you through the legal process and act as an advocate for your rights to compensation. We make sure our clients have what they need when filing a claim and can help them understand the legal process after being injured in a bicycle-car accident.
To schedule a consultation with Kamper Estrada, LLP, a bicycle accident lawyer Phoenix, AZ, contact our office today.