Bicycle Accident Lawyer Phoenix, AZ
Offers Tips for Bike Accident Prevention
A bicycle accident lawyer in Phoenix, AZ at Kamper & Estrada, PLLC knows that bicyclists can be in danger every time they step out of their homes and go for a ride. Whether you ride a bike for fun, as a way to get to work and back, or for sport, it is important to practice safety in order to lessen your chances of being struck by a car. It is not uncommon for a vehicle driver to be both in a rush and distracted by their phones or other factor. As a bicyclist, you are at a disadvantage because you do not have an encasing around your body to protect you from the blunt force of a vehicle hood.
When Riders Become Victims
When bicyclists get involved in accidents with car drivers, we can understand just how scary of an experience that can be. Bike riders can quickly become victims if the driver was not paying enough attention to the road, or had been reckless with a blatant disregard for others safety. How you handle the situation after being struck is important, and we suggest trying to keep your wits about you as much as possible. If you need legal assistance, you can trust our team to work relentlessly for your behalf.
Here we have listed the many ways you can help prevent accidents and potentially life-threatening injuries from happening to you while on a bike:
- The size of the bike should be appropriate for the rider.
- Wear a helmet at all times, and invest in brands that are federally-approved.
- Ride with traffic flow, not against.
- Ride in residential areas versus busy traffic city streets whenever possible.
- When riding at night, wear brightly colored clothes.
- When riding at night, add reflectors to your bike so cars can easily see you.
- Before getting on your bike, do a quick check that all parts are in proper working order.
- When in a pedestrian lane, walk your bike across the crosswalk.
- Keep a safe distance away from parked cars, as doors may open and hit you.
- Do not listen to music while riding if it prohibits your ability to hear outside noise and potential threats.
- Adjust your speed based on the road conditions and how much traffic is on the road with you.
- Be extra vigilant when crossing at city intersections.
- When riding on the street, use the entire lane and not the edge, to increase your visibility to drivers.
- Be wary of larger vehicles that may have a bigger blind spot (commercial trucks, buses, motorhomes).
- Use hand signals to let car drivers know where you are planning to move.
What to Do If You Are Injured in a Bicycle Accident
Despite taking all of these precautions you may still be a victim of a bicycle accident. If you’ve been injured in a bike crash, you may want to speak with a Phoenix, AZ bicycle accident lawyer immediately. An injury or death resulting from a bike accident can be devastating and may lead to financial repercussions, emotional grievance, and extensive pain and suffering. Kamper & Estrada, PLLC understands the hardship you may be experiencing. Through a consultation, we are ready to listen to your story and the impact the collision has had on your life. If we’re a match, rest assured, our law firm diligently fights for maximum compensation.
In the event you are struck by a car, it is vital that you get medical attention right away regardless of how you believe you feel after the impact. When the body is in a state of shock, injuries can be hidden. Do not permit the car driver to leave until the police have arrived and taken a statement of the accident.
Bills may pile high after being hit by a car, due to an accumulation of emergency, hospital, diagnostic and treatment costs. Even if the bicyclist has health coverage, the expenses can cause substantial financial difficulties. This is why many bicyclists choose to take legal action against the driver by filing a civil lawsuit for medical expenses. Start a file that contains all relevant paperwork for your injuries. This paperwork can be used as proof and help an attorney estimate a potential amount of compensation.
All in all, your health comes first. If you find yourself in a situation where you were just hit by a vehicle, remain calm and get medical help quickly.
Always Call the Police, and Wait for Them to Arrive
Victims of bike accidents can become outraged after being hit by a car driver, especially if their injuries are painful. It is crucial that you call 911 for help right away. An officer can arrive at the scene to take a report of what happened, and an ambulance can take you to the nearest hospital if needed. You can probably easily obtain a copy of the police report by going to your local law enforcement office. It is helpful if you gather an extra copy for your bicycle accident lawyer in Phoenix as we can use this information to build your case.
Get the Driver’s Info, Do Not Let Them Leave
Under no circumstances should you tell the driver they can leave. It doesn’t matter if the driver is in a rush to get somewhere, or whatever excuse they give you. The officer must arrive on the scene first and can take over the conversation with the driver. If you are of stable enough health, take down the driver’s details. If you were unable to because you were ushered to the hospital, then the supporting officer will likely do that instead. The two most vital elements of handling a bike accident is seeing that you get medical care, and obtaining the driver’s information such as:
- First and last name (as listed on driver’s license)
- Vehicle make/model/year
- Driver’s license number
- Contact (email, phone number)
If you have had trouble locating the driver who hit you, an attorney from our firm may ask if you took down their information directly from the driver’s license. If you didn’t, there is a chance the driver gave you false information in an effort to escape responsibility. But don’t worry, we will do what we can to investigate further and track this person down. We may even ask to talk with the officer who is on the case for more details.
Bike accidents happen more often than people realize. Thousands of bike riders across the United States get injured because of irresponsible car drivers. Victims must take action promptly, to increase their chances of a favorable amount in compensation. Bicyclists do not deserve to be hit by a car as they were innocently going about their ride. If you are one of these victims, please contact an AZ bicycle accident lawyer in Phoenix right away for assistance.
Why It’s Important to Retain Legal Representation
Time is of the essence when collecting valuable evidence, interviewing witnesses, and building a strong case after a bicycle accident happens. Guided by decades of experience and a passion to speak on behalf of those who feel they don’t have a voice, we act quickly to investigate the circumstances of an accident. Some contributing factors we may assess include motorists who:
- Open a door in front of the cyclist
- Fail to check blind spots
- Make right turns in front of an approaching bicyclist
- Sideswipe the rider using the bike lane or shoulder
- Fail to adhere to traffic signals or stop signs
- Exit driveways without paying attention
- Drive under the influence
As a dedicated team of attorneys, we waste no time in building a case that outlines the damages incurred because of another party’s negligence. We are prepared to fight the lawyers working for insurance companies by implementing our extensive resources, which may include private investigators, medical doctors, expert witnesses, or an accident reconstruction specialist.
A collision between a bike and a vehicle or obstruction can result in minor abrasions or life-threatening injuries such as:
- Lacerations and soft tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries, including whiplash
- Concussions and head injuries
- Broken bones
- Loss of limbs
- Mouth and teeth injuries
As bicycle accident lawyer in AZ, we can review medical records to assess the full extent of a client’s injuries. With this information, we may determine a fair numerical value to compensate a client for their losses. Examples of damages that may be collected in a legal claim include:
- Past, current, and prospective medical costs
- Lost wages from the inability to work
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Property damage
- Wrongful death (i.e. when the cyclist lost their life)
- Punitive damages when applicable
The final settlement amount is dependent upon each individual’s claim; it is not feasible to provide an accurate estimated value without speaking with a member of our team first.
Contact Our Law Firm For Assistance
No victim of a bicycle accident should have to bear unexpected losses on his or her own. We can guide you through the legal process and act as an advocate for your rights to compensation. To schedule a consultation with a Phoenix bicycle accident lawyer in Arizona from Kamper & Estrada, PLLC contact our office today.
[rt-testimonial id=”7150″ title=”testimonial view”]