Bankruptcy Protection Lawyer Phoenix, AZ
Our bankruptcy lawyer Phoenix, AZ relies on knows that many people think of filing for bankruptcy as giving up and giving in to creditors. But in many ways, the opposite is true. Bankruptcy actually provides you with protection and financial relief. It is a powerful legal tool to help you resolve overwhelming debt and get back on the road to financial recovery. Some of the many protections that can be extended to you should you decide to file for bankruptcy are discussed below. For more information, contact Kamper & Estrada, PLLC to speak with a bankruptcy protection lawyer Phoenix, AZ residents trust.
Halting Creditors and Harassment with the Automatic Stay
Whether you file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13, your bankruptcy filing triggers what is known as an “automatic stay.” This is an immediate freeze on debt/bill collection attempts, communication from creditors, and penalties associated with non-payment.
When the automatic stay goes into effect, it stops:
- Creditors and bill collectors from contacting you or otherwise seeking to collect payment
- Eviction proceedings
- Foreclosure proceedings
- Wage garnishment
- Disconnection of utilities
- Government agencies who may be trying to take back public benefit overpayments
You should know that the automatic stay doesn’t permanently stop or prevent the actions above. They can begin again after a certain period of time. However, the automatic stay provides a much-needed break from the chaos of overwhelming debt, and it gives you the time and space you need to resolve your bankruptcy action. Depending on your unique circumstances, an experienced Phoenix, Arizona bankruptcy lawyer from our firm can help you to restructure your debt or even help you eliminate eligible debts outright.
You May Be Able to Protect and Keep Your Home
If you are behind on mortgage payments and in danger of foreclosure, filing Chapter 13 may give you the second chance you need in order to keep your home. The automatic stay stops foreclosure activities temporarily. During that time, you can set up a repayment plan that includes repaying past-due mortgage payments. You’ll also need to keep current on your monthly payments during this time, which can be financially tricky while also repaying arrearage. But if you can manage this with the help of a Phoenix, AZ bankruptcy protection lawyer, you may be able to keep your home.
Protect Your Health and Your Dignity
Being in debt is highly stressful and demoralizing. Prolonged stress and low self-esteem are disastrous for your long-term health. By filing bankruptcy, you are calling an end to the stress, harassment, and poor treatment that you may have been suffering for years. And when the process is completed, you will have a fresh financial start and a newfound sense of personal dignity. These benefits should never be overlooked or undervalued.
Why You Should Work With an Attorney
We understand the temptation to file for bankruptcy on your own instead of working with a lawyer. Instead of going through the “hassle” of getting an attorney you just want to get through the bankruptcy process as quickly as possible. However, when you do this, this could leave room for error and that may mean you do not successfully file for bankruptcy or it could mean you are losing out on good opportunities. If you would like to learn more about the bankruptcy process and what our attorneys can do to help you, give our office a call.
What might happen if I file without an attorney?
If you file for bankruptcy without the help of a lawyer, a few things could happen.
- You make mistakes when filing. This may not sound like a particularly bad thing, but if you make mistakes in your bankruptcy paperwork a few things could happen. For example, it could delay the entire process or could mean you lose out on good financial decisions if you do not list everything out properly.
- You will need to face creditors. Creditors can be extremely persistent and difficult. When you owe someone money, they may not relent when it comes to coming after you. This harassment can be difficult to deal with, especially if you do not have negotiation experience. When you work with a bankruptcy attorney, you can have them speak with creditors on your behalf and work to put an automatic stay in place so they do not continue to contact you.
- You can lose important property. When you do not know the correct process for filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you may lose some of your most important property in order to get the money to pay off your debts. If you work with our trusted Phoenix bankruptcy lawyer, we may be able to save some of your property so that you have it after the bankruptcy process. If you lose property due to a paperwork error when you were filing, it can truly feel like you are losing a piece of yourself in the process.
It can seem like hiring an attorney to help you with the bankruptcy process may be more expensive than doing it on your own. The truth is, you may end up losing much more money or more assets in the end if you do not work with an attorney.
Contact Us to Learn More About Your Options
Our firm helps good people facing difficult situations, and that likely describes you. Bankruptcy is not surrendering. Rather, it is more like calling in reinforcements to help even out an unfair fight.
If you want to know how bankruptcy may benefit you or which type of bankruptcy is most appropriate for you, contact our firm to speak with an experienced and compassionate Phoenix, Arizona bankruptcy protection lawyer. We will walk you through the process, fully explain your rights and options, and help you get started. Contact our bankruptcy lawyer in Phoenix, Arizona now.