Personal Injury Lawyers Phoenix, AZ
Car accidents happen quickly and the aftermath can be a cloud of confusion, fear, and adrenaline. If, after surveying yourself, you find no apparent injuries, what should you do?
SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION
The adrenaline and endorphins generated by your body in a car accident can dull the pain of injuries. However, just because you don’t feel hurt, doesn’t exactly mean you made it out of the accident unscathed. Injuries sustained from a car accident have a sneaky way of going undetected, only to pop up a few days, weeks, or months later.
Best practice is to always seek medical attention after a car accident, no matter how well you feel or how minor your injuries appear. Whether that is a paramedic on the scene, your primary care doctor, or a trip to the hospital in an ambulance, you’ll want to be sure to have a medical professional exam you right away to see if you are in danger of suffering from a hidden injury.
Below are some of the most common injuries that may be hidden after a car accident:
- Brain Injuries. Car accidents are one of the top three leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. Whether due to whiplash or a more serious brain injury, headaches are a common pain experienced after a car accident
- Neck / Shoulder Pain. These pains often emerge days after an accident and could indicate serious injuries like a herniated disc.
- Lower Back Pain. Often accompanied by symptoms like tingling and numbness, lower back can may indicate strained muscles, a sprain, a herniated disc, or pinched nerves.
- Abdominal Pain. Internal bleeding and soft tissue injuries can become very serious if left untreated.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. PTSD is a psychiatric disorder that can occur in people who have experienced or witnessed a traumatic event, including car accidents. Symptoms may include nightmares, insomnia, flashbacks, and unpredictable emotions. People may also have anxiety and fear in and around cars. If these symptoms persist for longer than three months, cause great distress, and/or disrupt a person’s personal life, help should be sought from a professional who specializes in mental health.
Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
If it turns out you did sustain injury due to the accident, you may file a claim. Insurance companies have teams of experienced adjusters, investigators, and lawyers trying to settle your case as quickly and for as little money as possible. If you hire legal representation, you are more likely to receive a higher settlement than if you attempt to handle the case on your own.
If you think you may have suffered any of the above injuries due to a car accident, contact the law offices of Kamper Estrada, LLP. Our experienced personal injury lawyers Phoenix, AZ has to offer can help you understand what sort of damages you may be entitled to and will fight to make sure you receive fair compensation for your injuries.