According to the AAA foundation for traffic safety, take approximately 1500 lives every single year. While many victims of hit and runs are pedestrians, drivers and vehicle passengers can also be injured. If you were involved in an accident with a driver who fled the scene, it is important that you know what to do. The steps you take immediately following a hit and run accident could save your life. Here’s what you should do:
- Stay calm and move out of the street if you can. If you cannot stand up and no one is around to assist you, try to drag yourself out of the way.
- Try your best to keep the driver there. Wave your hands and cause a commotion so that others will look your way. Try to remember the driver’s license plate if they speed off.
- Call 911 and explain what happened. After this, call the police.
- Take as many photos and videos of the area and car and your injuries that you can. If there were any witnesses around, have them write down a testimony and sign and date it.
- Make sure you explain what happened to the police so that they can place it in their report before you leave in an ambulance. Also request a copy of the police report.
- Start an insurance claim and contact a lawyer.
What are the Common Injuries Involved?
Hit and run accidents are especially dangerous for those who are injured. In a situation where mere minutes can make the difference between life and death, hit and run accident victims are often left behind, while their injuries worsen. Significant injuries, like traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and spinal injuries, need swift medical attention or they can lead to coma and paralysis. When emergency help is delayed, even for a few extra minutes, the results can be fatal. Common injuries suffered by victims of severe hit and run accidents include:
- Head and brain injuries (TBIs, facial bone fractures, death)
- Spinal injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Fractured wrists or ankles
- Broken ribs
Contact an Attorney
In many states, it is actually illegal to leave the scene of an accident, no matter how minor. Fleeing the scene of the accident is a crime and punishable by law. Sadly, hit and run drivers are rarely found. If you were involved in a hit and run accident, you will need a personal injury attorney on your side to help you negotiate claim settlements with your insurance company. If your hit and run driver is found and brought to justice, your attorney can help you file a personal injury lawsuit where you could collect medical expense compensation, lost wages, and pain and suffering costs. Do not delay in contacting a lawyer today. He or she will do their very best to ensure that you get the justice and fair compensation you rightfully deserve. Often times, the initial consultation will be free, and lawyers will work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will not have to pay them unless you win your claim. Consult with an experienced Slip and Fall lawyer such as the personal injury attorney Bristol TN locals turn to.
Thank you to the attorneys at The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt for providing information on Personal Injury Law.